Julie teaches history and politics, and convenes the history major at Swinburne University of Technology. She is the co-editor (with Dr Maggie Nolan) of the Journal of Australian Studies (journal of the International Australian Studies Association), and federal secretary of the Australian Society for the Study of Labour History. She edits the triannual newsletter, Recorder, for the Melbourne Branch, as well as its website. Before joining Swinburne, Julie taught at several universities in NSW and Victoria: UNSW, Sydney, Newcastle, Monash and Deakin. She has edited collections on Australian political and labour history, and is currently working on a study of Evdokia Petrov with Phillip Deery.
- HIS10004 Australian History
- HIS30007 War and Peace in the Twentieth Century
- POL30003 Applied Political Research
Current Postgraduate Supervision
- Adamantia Di Biase: Models of political representation for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders (with Michael Leach);
- Dimity Hawkins: Nuclear Shadows: Nuclear weapons testing in the Pacific and the Fijian response 1966-1975 (with Chris Agius and Michael Leach);
- Lucy Kent: Public Service Broadcasting in Australia in the Digital Age (with Kerry Ryan);
- Nicholas Pelley: An examination of hyper-exploited labour and collective acts of resistance in Australia (with Peter Love and Lorenzo Veracini).
- James Murphy: East West Link: A Political Post-Mortem (with Damon Alexander), 2019.
- Chris Beck: The Thin Black Line (MA, with Andrew Dodd), 2018.
- Dan Tout: “A gumtree is not a branch of an oak”: Indigenising settler nationalism in 1930s Australia (PhD, with Lorenzo Veracini), 2018.
- Salma Shafiq: Acculturation Barriers for Bangladeshi Migrants (PhD, with Michael Leach), 2016.
- Sal Clark: Navigating Asylum: Journeys from Indonesia to Australia (PhD, with Michael Leach), 2015.
- Dustin Halse: History of the Public Service Association (PhD, with Brian Costar), 2015.
- David Moore: Arthur Moore and the Non-Labour Politics in QLD 1915-1941 (PhD, with Brian Costar), 2014.
- Kimber, Julie ; 2019. Stoneham, Clive Philip (1909–1992), Australian dictionary of biography / Melanie Nolan (ed.)
- Kimber, Julie ; Deery, Phillip ; 2019. The trauma and tragedy of a Cold War defection: Evdokia Petrov (Conference Paper), 16th Biennial Conference of the Australian Society for the Study of Labour History, Perth, W.A., 3-5 October 2019
- Holbrook, Carolyn ; Kimber, Julie ; Nolan, Maggie ; Rogers, Thomas ; 2019. Introduction: Forgotten moments and reclaimed memories (Editorial), Journal of Australian Studies, Vol. 43, no. 2 (Jun 2019), pp. 141-142
- Deery, Phillip ; Kimber, Julie ; 2019. ‘Bordering on treason’? Sir Raphael Cilento and pre‐Second World War fascism in Australia, Australian Journal of Politics & History, Vol. 65, no. 2 (Jun 2019), pp. 178-195
View Julie’s Swinburne profile here.
Edited books/conference proceedings: